The Economic Development Corporation (EDC) of Mt. Morris has bolstered economic growth and helped revitalize the business community since it was formed in 2011. Here are some accomplishments…
- Brought high-speed, gigabit, buried, fiber optic cable to Mt. Morris, connecting us to the northern Illinois I-fiber network.
- Negotiated the construction of a new Sullivan’s grocery store, an essential anchor business for the Village.
- Annexed 80+ acres of farmland, including the Dollar General property, into the Village limits prior to construction of this small-box discount retail store in 2013, for future growth.
- Brought Casey’s convenience store and filling station to town.
- Worked successfully with Phoenix Investors which purchased the Quad Graphics Printing Plant and turned it into a warehousing and distribution complex, and continue to maintain a strong working relationship.
- Brought Mt. Morris Pharmacy to town, ending a 13-year absence of pharmaceutical services.
- Negotiated the 300 Enterprise Zone acres designated within the Village limits.
- Partnered with GWA Studio experts to obtain the Historical Preservation District designation from the National Registry for the Village square “campus” area.
- Worked with Sterling Federal Bank to acquire and install the Village’s electronic community sign board on their property along IL Route 64.
- Recommended TIF funding for several downtown properties to improve and rehabilitate exteriors.
- Negotiated the acquisition of properties to locate a new fire house.
- Recommended TIF funding to assist in the construction of a new fire house for the Mount Morris Fire Protection District – construction in progress.
- Currently working with the Kohler Foundation to restore the 100-year old American Legion Memorial Fountain on the Village campus.
- Recommended TIF funding for the Wesley 1895 farm-to-table restaurant/bakery/butcher shop – construction in progress.
A full copy of the Village of Mt. Morris Comprehensive Plan 2035 can also be viewed online here.